Majority of Karachi Peoples know someone who has lost their job During Lockdown, Contends Study

Majority of Karachi Peoples know someone who has lost their job During Lockdown, Contends Study

KARACHI: A study in Karachi shows that 8 out of 10 people know someone who lost their job or business during a preventive blockade against COVID-19, while 3 out of 10 now need financial help to manage their daily lives, Stay Connecting reported on Thursday.

Pulse Consultant, a leading marketing and social research firm, conducted in-depth computer-assisted telephone interviews with 1,000 respondents living in the city’s six districts.

The study was carried out in two stages, from April 16 to 18 (477 interviews) and from April 23 to 26 (533 interviews), during which people of both sexes from 16 to 60 years of age were interviewed.

The results of the study were overestimated by the population of the district. Furthermore, the error was only ± 3.02% with a confidence level of 95%. The survey showed that Karachi residents were hit by blockages introduced to limit the spread of the virus.

COVID-19 perception

More than half, or 53% of respondents, believe that coronavirus is a new or old type of virus, and 37% of respondents believe that this is the name of the disease, according to the study results.

Of the rest of the respondents, 6% believe that this is just cough and flu, while 2% of the respondents believe that this is the wrath of the Almighty.

The study also shows that 5 out of 10 people, or 51%, believe that COVID-19 cases are exaggeratedly reported, while 30% of respondents believe the virus is as dangerous as described. The remaining 19% of respondents did not express their opinion.

Respondents expressed concern about themselves on a personal level (52%), and also believe that people in their respective circles, such as those in the neighborhood, are concerned about COVID-19 and take the threat seriously (%).

However, the intensity of anxiety is lower for members of their families (28%). The study shows that the majority of the women surveyed, or 58%, are more concerned with themselves than their male counterparts (48%).

The study showed that only 65 respondents know who was infected with the new coronavirus.

Economic impact

According to the study, almost half, or 47%, of those surveyed seek to ease restrictions, and 37% favor strict blocking and 15% against any blockade.

Only 5% of respondents do not feel a threat to their personal economic conditions. However, the remaining 95% expect a kind of negative impact on their financial situation.

The study also shows that 8 out of 10 respondents said they knew someone who had lost their jobs or personal business. About a third, or 34% of respondents, believe they need financial assistance at this difficult time.

Only 1 in 10 affirms that they will have satisfactory economic conditions in the next three months. 70% of respondents expect economic pressure, and 205 do not have an answer about their financial situation.

 

Government Performances

The study shows that 34% of respondents are satisfied with the federal government’s work in terms of containing the spread of COVID-19, while 28% expressed dissatisfaction. 35% did not give a clear answer.

32% of respondents are satisfied with the work of the Sindh government, while 30% are dissatisfied and 34% did not give a clear answer.

The study shows that 27% of people are satisfied with the city government’s work regarding the coronavirus and 34% expressed dissatisfaction, while 36% did not give a clear answer.

Relief work

Almost half of the respondents were unable to name any of the political parties involved in providing assistance. However, many of the respondents, or 24%, remembered the name Jamaat-i-Islami

23% could name the Pakistani Tehrik-i-Insaf, 17%, the Pakistan People’s Party, 3%, the Pakistan-Nawaz Muslim League, and 2%, the Muttahida Qaumi Movement.

Originally Publish by Geo.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *